Monday, February 8, 2010

Day 1 for the New Contestants!

I couldn't help but think about the new contestants this weekend. They officially start their 12 weeks of training today! I think I am nervous for them! I just remember so vividly this day last year for me...
I was so nervous, and anxious I thought I was going to be sick! Haha! I had never really worked out before. I was scared of the gym, scared of personal trainers, nervous I would make a fool out of myself, nervous I would let my friends and family down, just all in all...very anxious about the challenge that was in front of me!!!
Wow was it all worth it. I am starting my training again with Paul this evening as well. I am determined to get down to my goal weight.Something I have wanted to do for about 5 years. I lost 4 pounds last week!
Today, this year, I am feeling confident, I am feeling motivated, and I am excited for my challenge ahead. Ok...I am still a little nervous about the wrath of Paul...but at least I know I will survive!!!
I wanted to reflect on this day last year just to explain how far I have come:

Last year on Feb. 9th 2009 I walked into Aggieland Fitness, weighing 220 pounds, depressed, ashamed, scared to death, for my first workout in the Marethouse Fitness Challenge. Paul was very nice (this was before he got comfortable enough to tell me I ran like a duck), he took my measurements, blood pressure, heart rate, etc...and then we headed out to the gym.
(this is from my blog on the first day of my fitness challenge last year:
Paul was very friendly, and kind, he didn't make me feel uncomfortable at all He explained we were going to warm-up on the treadmill and then we would be working on my legs today. Little did Paul know he had A LOT of work to do!!! I was already winded after my short warm up but trying to hide it from my new fit friend...he lead me over to the leg extensions. I did several sets with ease (or so Paul thought... :) ) he seemed impressed and that made me happy. He was very motivating and positive. On to our next exercise....on a roll, I felt confidence seeping through my veins. He lead me to the middle of the gym (surrounded by what felt like millions of people staring at me!) and he told me that we were going to attempt lunges, 12 down and 12 back. He demonstrated them for me and feeling like a fitness queen already with my new found confidence, I smiled and began lunging.....8 down...really hurting, but all the while smiling....Paul said lets turn around and do 8 back (I guess my smile wasn't fooling him, he could see me sweating and struggling!) I began my journey back, after my 2nd lunge I collapsed! That's right- fell to the floor, legs did not work, in front of the whole gym. I quickly tried to jump up, for one, because I was so embarrassed and for two, because out of the corner of my eye I could see the head trainer running towards me in a panic. Paul grabbed my arms to help me up.....BAM, collapsed again! I couldn't stand, I couldn't get my legs to work! I was mortified....all the while still smiling! I finally was able to get on my feet. Poor, sweet Paul was pale and assured me that I was still doing well. We continued to attempt a few more exercises and at the end of my first hour, I realized this was not going to be easy. In fact, it might be the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

Last year I collapsed on my 8th lunge...I was so out of shape and unhealthy I was exhausted after the warm up. I still have a long way to go, but it is so nice to reflect on how far I have come. Don't get me wrong, tomorrow I will probably be crying because of how much I hurt...but at least I know that I will not collapse...and I will survive...eventually!

Good Luck to all of the new 6 today! I am pulling for you, supporting you, and so proud that you are taking this first step to change your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment