Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The dreaded first day in the gym...

Monday rolled around after not sleeping much the night before because I was SO nervous....I packed my things for the gym, ready to go straight from work! I was greeted at work by students, co-workers, professors, family, my husbands co-workers, etc...who all knew about the program. Most of them had heard it on the radio. I was shocked! And more motivated than ever to succeed! Everyone knew, everyone knows, it makes it real. It makes it permanent. I have to do this now.

I met Paul at 5:00 at the gym, to accomplish my first workout. We began by taking all of my measurements and of course, the dreaded first weigh in. He was very friendly, and kind, he didnt make me feel uncomfortable at all He explained we were going to warm-up on the treadmill and then we would be working on my legs today. Little did Paul know he had A LOT of work to do!!! I was already winded after my short warm up but trying to hide it from my new fit friend...he lead me over to the leg extensions. I did several sets with ease (or so Paul thought... :) ) he seemed impressed and that made me happy. He was very motivating and positive. On to our next exercise....on a roll, I felt confidence seeping through my veins. He lead me to the middle of the gym (surrounded by what felt like millions of people staring at me!) and he told me that we were going to attempt lunges, 12 down and 12 back. He demonstrated them for me and feeling like a fitness queen already with my new found confidence, I smiled and began lunging.....8 down...really hurting, but all the while smiling....Paul said lets turn around and do 8 back (I guess my smile wasnt fooling him, he could see me sweating and struggling!) I began my journey back, after my 2nd lunge I collasped! Thats right- fell to the floor, legs did not work, in front of the whole gym. I quickly tried to jump up, for one, because I was so embarrassed and for two, because out of the corner of my eye I could see the head trainer running towards me in a panic. Paul grabbed my arms to help me up.....BAM, collasped again! I couldn't stand, I couldn't get my legs to work! I was moritfied....all the while still smiling! I finally was able to get on my feet. Poor, sweet Paul was pale and assured me that I was still doing well. We continued excerising, finished out our hour....then I was out of there!
My first day had not been the success I had imagined, but it did show me that this journey was not going to be easy, and was indeed going to be a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment