Thursday, February 5, 2009

Not just another resolution...

Returning back to work in January after the holidays was extremely difficult. Not only did I not want my vacation to end, but I knew the dreaded "new years resolution" time had rolled around again. I thought to my self, how many years have I told my self that I was going to change? How many times I have tried to talk my self into eating better, exercising? How many times have I looked in the mirror and cried because of the person I had become for my self and my family? As the negative thoughts raced through my mind, I began to pray. I prayed for strength and motivation to really change this year. I prayed for my family and friends to really be supportive of me. I prayed that 2009 was going to be my comeback. My best year yet. My life had to change.
As I drove to work that morning, I listened to my favorite radio morning show, Frito and Alli (Candy 95.1) and they were advertising a 12 week fitness challenge. I listened closer and learned that a trainer in College Station was giving back to the community and offering an opportunity for 6 people to transform their life and be a part of the 12 week fitness challenge. Not only was I touched, I was moved to tears. This was the opportunity I needed...desperately. I listened closer and learned that David MaretHouse was accepting application emails until Feb.1st, asking listeners to write him and tell him why we deserved to be chosen. I rushed in to the office that morning spewing to my co-worker about the contest. I immediately sent in my email and hoped for the best.
I decided that day that whether or not I was chosen for the MaretHouse fitness challenge, I had to make a change in my life. I became more motivated and determined than ever. I joined weight watchers and changed my eating habits drastically. I was on a roll, and it felt good! There was only one important piece of the puzzle missing...exercise. I had the competition in the back of my mind, hoping and praying that I would be selected. February 1st finally came! I knew that this was the week I would find out my fate. My cell phone rang Monday afternoon, I jumped with excitement because I didn't know the number...it must be them, I was thinking! The guy introduced himself as Paul from MaretHouse fitness. He stated that they received over 300 applicants for the fitness challenge and they had narrowed the number to 30 people they wanted to interview. We scheduled our interview and hung up the phone. I was shaking with excitement! When I showed up for my interview the next afternoon, a bundle of nerves, I was again greeted by Paul. He expalined that another interview was finishing up and I could wait in the office with him. He was super friendly, asking me questions about my interest in the challenge, he could tell how nervous I was and assured me that the interview would go well. He explained that he read my email and was touched by my story and that he was rooting for me. I figured that he probably told everyone that, but was flattered by his gesture. I interviewed with David and Bear. They were so welcoming and easy to talk to. I answered their questions and plead them my case. I was releived when the interview was over, although the only thing left to do was.....wait.
Thursday morning finally came and the winners were to be announced on Candy 95 between 7-9am. I made sure I was at work by 7:00, to be in my office and listening intently awaiting their decision. At last around 7:40 the time had come for them to announce the first recipient. Alli began to read my email. I couldn't beleive it. I was trembling. Partly because all of College Station knew my weight, and mostly because I was chosen out of over 300 applicants to have the opportunity to make my resolution come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment